Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom.
1 Corinthians 3:17

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Old Man Winter...

...I've got a bone to pick with you.

I've kind of hadituptohere with you already, almost as much as I've hadituptohere with this unlovely pile o'stuff that greets me every time I walk through the door.

It's getting a little depressing.


You have thwarted every single plan I've made in the last three weeks by either
1)creating such a mess the schools must shut down;
2)or freezing up pipes...so the schools must shut down;
3)or making the roads impossibly slick, and causing a ten-minute trek across town to result in an out-of-the-way, nearly two-hour-long return trip home (okay, so maybe that isn't entirely your fault- people should really drive much slower to avoid terrible accidents in the first place!)

So since we're stuck home with plans thwarted and any array of various children who aren't normally home, I think it's time to freshen up my perspective around here a little bit.

The art desk, which sits in the entry way, (well, sat, but that's coming) was bursting at the seams, and the kids could never get to their papers or supplies without creating even more mess.  Not fun.  So I pulled everything out and started over.

I ended up recycling several half-used notebooks that have been rotting away in there for years now, but I hate throwing away "perfectly fine" paper!  It makes me cringe- does anyone else feel like that with old notebooks?

Since we create mostly in the dining room, I decided to make another change and move the desk right in there.  

Ah, that's better!  What a mess it was before!  (not sure why that looks so dark, though)

So bright and happy- love it!
Of course I would adore a side table or hutch back there, but I've made due without, and the children really do use this space for their creations.  I think that's more important for now!
I actually have my eye on that mirror for the entry way...only I plan to paint it either white or ivory, and hang it vertically

And here is a side-by-side view~ this isn't what I have in mind for the foyer, but I already have this little table and it didn't cost me anything in time, labor or money, so it's working for the moment.

Oh, that looks sad, doesn't it?  But making even a small change has opened up the space and it feels lighter and airier.  At least that feels good!
I'm not exactly sure what I would rather have in this space, but I'll be looking...

Caleb is home with us again today- he's writing a book.  LOVE that!  Isabelle is after me, so I'm off.
The next project on my list to tackle is our bedroom closet~ maybe that will be tomorrow, since I hear we're expecting another foot of powder!
Please pray for me.  :)

3 comments:

Sennie said...

Looks very pretty, Bethany! We love the snow, but I'm with you on all the stuff that is laying everywhere to dry!! Times 5!!

Anonymous said...

Your enrty way looks very familiar ! Ours has been filled with boots and all things winter too !
I'm ready for SPRING :)

Marcia said...

I laughed when I saw the stuff by the heater. Just like our breezeway! I have been getting a sort of spring fever or I'm nesting (no, I'm NOT pregnant!) and wanting to clean house! I did the kids bedrooms yesterday. Ahhh, what a feeling. I even got Chris to do his two, yes TWO, closets. Then I arranged everything by color just to show him how ridiculous his clothes collection is. But I digress. I love the idea of the art hutch in the dining room. Makes total sense. And I feel 100% the same way about getting rid of old notebooks. They are perfectly fine. Sigh.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...