Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom.
1 Corinthians 3:17

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Take a Hike...NH style

Last week after our 2-hour long homestudy visit with the social worker, Bill and I escaped up north for a little adventure...hiking West Ratttlesnake Mountain.

For you locals, get on I-93 N, take exit 24, and follow US 3 toward Holderness, then left onto NH 113 East. (If you're familiar with Squam Lakes Science Center, this is a few miles beyond that.)

We may have even stopped by Dunkin Donuts for yummy iced coffee. And if we did, it would surely be blueberry for him and hazelnut for me.  =)

The trail wasn't steep but there were a million and one steps to contend with! It was a hot day and we were sweating!  It was pretty at the top, but not quite all that we expected...


I had a lovely chat with a couple originally from California. They told me that the reference book they were using called this an easy hike, and they laughed about that...they said they needed a geriatric guide book, ha! It was all those stairs that did them in!

We said our farewells and Bill and I wandered upon another trail leading upward. Then I saw this sign...
...and turned to my right to see this...
WOW! Now that's more like it! If you're hiking, keep moving upward until you see the sign!

We quickly realized our error and had a good chuckle over missing the "real" summit. This area was amazing, with wide open views and tons of crevices and dips for the kiddos to explore, though I must say the drop-offs scare me to death! I love hiking but I have this unnatural, heart-stopping fear of tumbling off the edge of the mountain! Let's just say I bite my tongue quite a lot when the boys are with me!



It was so cool when 6 hawks (perhaps falcons) started swooping and darting all around us! The boys would've loved this after having studied birds of prey in school! Guess I should've paid more attention because I couldn't remember which has the rounded wings or curved feathers....



Look! Proof I was actually there!

I love this photo of Bill!

All in all, this was a great hike and we'll go back with our children so they can enjoy the views too! I wouldn't recommend this one for really young kids or those with knee problems! And bring your bug spray- they were BRUTAL!!

I have to end with a shout out to our local faves, the Bruins....whew! There was a lot of excitement around here today! But oh my goodness, how horrible about all that has happened in Vancouver! Those poor people!

2 comments:

Ryan V. said...

Wow--beautiful views! You have a lot of hiking places around you! We lived in salt lake city for 6 months last year and LOVED all of the hiking there!

Karen of Little Red House Designs said...

OH life in NH... how envious I am! I am closer to Boston but spend anytime near a Lake when I can!
I have enjoyed your blog!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...