Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom.
1 Corinthians 3:17

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Whoopie Pies With REAL Creme Filling

Isabelle was so excited to get off the kinder-bus at a friend's house the other day. We (the Mamas) planned to meet up at gymnastics after lunch since our girls are in the same class. On the way home from gymnastics, Isabelle announced that her friend's Mom (who is so kind and sweet!) hadn't let them watch a movie in the car. And she was pretty bummed about it. I giggled, and told her how surprised I was by this, since after all, her friend's Mom is waaaaay more fun than me.

"I know," Isabelle eagerly pipes up. No pause, no hesitation, just as matter-of-fact as you get. Ha Ha Ha

Maybe these yummy, fun treats will redeem me!


If you know me at all, then you know I'm all about finding things to celebrate as a family, such as Pi Day. Since the crust-making gene seems to have skipped over me, I thought I might surprise my crew with Whoopie Pies for 3.14 instead. It's for the best, really. So.Many.Tears. Making pies shouldn't make a girl cry, right?

I found this recipe and promptly fell in love.
I made some very slight adjustments.

For the Pies
1/4 cup Crisco
1 cup milk
1 scant cup white sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups flour
1/4 cup + 1 heaping Tbsp cocoa (I use a combination of regular and dark)
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
dash salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Mix together the Crisco, sugar, egg and vanilla; then add the milk alternately with the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt. This cuts way down on the amount of dust, but it still gets a little dirty. Don't set the speed too fast at the beginning!

Using a cookie scoop (spoons would work but probably not come out as perfectly round), drop onto ungreased baking pan/ cookie sheet. They spread more than I thought they would so don't overcrowd the pan- I have 12 per pan. Bake for 7-8 minutes (this oven seems hotter than my old one); pies may need another minute, but keep an eye on them! Remove from oven and transfer to cookie rack immediately. Sometimes the bottoms get that "crust" when you remove them, and sometimes they stay smooth, but they all taste phenomenal. Go figure.

For the Creme Filling
1/2 cup Crisco
1/2 cup butter, very soft
1 cup white sugar
1.5 Tbsp flour
generous dash vanilla
1/2 cup 2% milk (warmed for 15 seconds in microwave)

The author of the original recipe said you'd have to beat the filling for a l-o-n-g time, and it's true! Mix the butter and shortening together for a minute or two, then add the sugar and mix some more. Add remaining ingredients, put the mixer on medium speed and go do your nails. Or walk the dog. Just kidding...it does take forever for the lumps to dissipate and the filling to resemble that gorgeous, fluffy creme. No fluff-from-a-jar required!

And there you have it! Perfect, heavenly Whoopie Pies!
I filled up nearly 3 cookie sheets, so that's...what...about 36? I'd say you can count on 15-17 assembled bites of pure, glorious, sweet perfection.
  *I've also added pure vanilla bean paste to the cream filling- I dip in a butter knife and let it drip off into the mixing bowl with the other ingredients. It's really really good!


Who says I'm not fun? I even jazzed some up for St. Patrick's Day! =)



Alas, they won't last around these parts 'til St. Patty's Day.
Or Pi Day for that matter...

Thinking ahead to St. Patrick's Day, here is a photo of the rainbow fruit plate I made for Isabelle's birthday party- so pretty and cheerful! My grocery list just keeps getting longer and longer this week...


Interested in other fab recipes?
Check out these...







Sharing this post with:
All She Cooks
Crafts a la Mode 
Six Sisters' Stuff 
Sew Many Ways
At The Picket Fence




3 comments:

Unknown said...

that looks soooooo good!



www.studentswife.com

Sennie said...

Another yummy looking recipe!! Thanks! Do you know if I could just use butter instead of Crisco?

Crafts a la Mode said...

Yep, that should redeem you. :) haha

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...