Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom.
1 Corinthians 3:17

Thursday, January 7, 2016

2016 GOALS: PRAYING FOR MY CHILDREN

Like many, I'm not big into resolutions for a new year. Changes and improvements can be made at any time; there can always be that fresh start in your heart, regardless of the date on the calendar. But I do like to ponder and reflect on certain areas in my life as we approach the new year, and this year, I'd like to commit to praying for my children more. Simple out-the-door prayers are fantastic, and I try to do those often; but what I'm referring to are those fervent, meaty, soul-searching prayers that shape the lives- and hearts- of my children.

There are so many things that we simply cannot control when it comes to parenting, but this is one single thing that can have the most impact, and yet I overlook it. I admit that I have not put praying for my children at the top of my priority list. For me, if I'm being completely honest, I think it stems from a lack of dependency on the Lord and from regarding prayer as the "next best choice." Prayer is not meant to be a passive activity- God tells us over and over that prayer is our number one defense against the enemy; our number one resource for peace, healing, and contentment; and the most intimate, beautiful path to knowing Him. It is the single most powerful thing we can do.

And yet, I still regard prayer as a last resort often times. It doesn't feel like I'm doing enough. And isn't that the lie? The false sense of security I have when I let myself think that I've got it under control or that I can find a solution to whatever problem I'm facing at the moment.

The truth is, God uses prayer to open hearts and minds, and how I long for this to be my truth!


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...