Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom.
1 Corinthians 3:17

Friday, January 5, 2018

Ringing In 2018... Happy New Year!

One of these years, I'd like to get dressed up all fancy and go out to some fancy party or restaurant, and just be fancy.

But.

This wasn't that year. ha ha We had my parents over for dinner and played games and just had fun together. Lots of laughter is bound to be a good sign for a new year!

I tried to do lots of little, special things throughout the weekend. Sometimes it's the smaller gestures that mean the most.

Our festive tablescape. Isabelle made the sign for me again this year.

Oh, and these are the temps we've been having for two weeks straight now. Not even kidding. It has only been above ZERO twice in the past two weeks!

I can't remember now what exactly the problem was- isn't that how it always goes- but Sunday morning I was just having the hardest time. Like emotional turmoil kind of hard. I couldn't stop crying in church. #embarrassing #stopitmom

So when we got back home, I threw on a few extra layers and headed out. The sun was shining and the sky was bright blue, but it was freeze-your-snot cold. And then the wind picked up and blew snow everywhere, including your face. Cooooold. 

I left alone and was happy to be alone, but Caleb found me ten minutes later. Honestly, I was annoyed. But then I came to my senses, thankfully, and felt so touched that he would brave the tundra to find me. He said he was worried about me and wanted to make sure I was okay. Aww. In the five or so seconds it took to take these photos, my fingertips were already numb. You can kind of see the snow swirling to our left...right before it smacked us in the face. 

I have a thing for crystal and glass in the sun, too. So pretty and sparkly!

Jonah kept making rainbows all over the wall and ceiling, and Lev was completely mesmerized. So funny.

You gotta have punch to ring in the new year!
3/4 jug Hawaiian Punch, a bottle of Sprite, and scoops of rainbow sherbet - I used my cookie scoop because I don't have a melon baller. So fizzy and good!

There's just something so magical about candlelight. It makes everything look so beautiful.

Isabelle quizzing my Mom a zillion random animal trivia facts. My Mom is such a good sport. After ten minutes, I was like, Okay, I've got dishes to do, floors to sweep, umm basically anything that may need tending to...I'm outta here.

Someone discovered he has a deep, deep love for cream puffs!

This was promptly at nine o'clock. Ethan was on his way out, and I was not feeling too well. I made it another hour or so. #lame Or #old. ha ha

We enjoyed a slow morning on New Year's Day. I was so happy to see the sun shining a second day in a row! Not only has it been freezing, it's been so dark as well.

We bundled up for ten whole minutes outside. But we made snow art. :)
Random question, but has anyone tried to boiling water thing where you toss it into the freezing air? I'd like to try it this weekend...


Mom. It's so cold. (And I'm just noticing now how that little bit of neck is exposed- bad bad bad. I'll have to get him some turtlenecks for outside play.)
But he loves it! He pitches the biggest fit when it's time to come inside.

When the feeling returned to our hands, we played with the play-dough that Daddy made the day before. I love fresh play-dough, especially when still warm, but cold, day old or older play-dough, truly makes me gag. Weird, right?

Isabelle and I also had a hot cocoa date in the family room and watched the Soul Surfer movie while Levi took his nap. I loved it, it was very touching and meaningful.

So everyone went back to school on Tuesday, and yes, I always miss them when they aren't here, but the stillness and calm was quite nice. :) Of course yesterday was a Snow Day and today is already a delayed start, so we have had lots of togetherness this week. And it's Friday! Hooray! Did anyone do anything super exciting for NYE? Tell me and I'll add it to my growing bucket list!

Here are some links to years past...I can't believe little Levi was so tiny last year! Aaaahhhh!
 

2017

(I don't think I have a post from 2016...I was still throwing up regularly and pretty sure I was in bed by 8 pm that night, so I don't remember anything!)

Skating in the new year from 2015

A Year in Pictures photo recap from 2014

One of my most fun memories, our Day of Adventure from 2013


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...